December 4, 2017

The Sun and the Turtle entrevista a... Mongoreto

My name is Mariela Dal Maso, I am 34 years old, I have 2 kids and I am Argentinian. When I was a teenager, I learned to crochet reading a magazine about basic stitches; I managed to crochet in the round and I left it there.
Years later, and due to financial reasons, I grabbed my hooks and brushes to try and earn a living without giving up on my decision to raise my kids full time. I tried several things; one of them was an amigurumi which was precisely my first sale.

I am self taught from the beginning, here's a secret: I hate following patterns! So out of trial and error, a little monster was born. That’s the reason why I felt more comfortable creating my own designs.

Who would have thought that years later I would be writing my patterns. It was terribly difficult to translate them into a comprehensible language because I had never read a pattern before.
As everything else in life, with patience and love, I think I achieved a beautiful result: My little big proyect “Mongoreto".


Mi nombre es Mariela Dal Maso, tengo 34 años, 2 hijos y soy argentina. En la adolescencia aprendrí a tejer crochet leyendo una revista de puntos básicos, logré hacer círculos y lo dejé ahí.
Unos cuantos años después y por temas económicos agarré agujas y pinceles para intentar un ingreso sin desistir de mi elección de criar a tiempo completo a mis hijos. Probé varias cosas, entre ellas un amigurumi, justamente fue el amigurumi mi primer venta.

Un comienzo muy autodidacta porque, ahí les va un secreto: odio seguir patrones! Así que a prueba y error salió un monstruito. Por esto mismo fue que me sentí más cómoda creando mis propios diseños.
Quién diría que unos años después redactaría mis patrones. Horrores me costó volcarlos a un lenguaje entendible porque jamás había leído uno.
Pero como todo en la vida, con paciencia y amor creo que llegué a un hermoso resultado: Mi pequeño gran proyecto “Mongoreto”.


Where does the name Mongoreto come from? How long it’s been since you make amigurumi?
“Mongoreto” or “Mongoreto Flores” is widely used in Argentina to refer to someone whose name is unknown or who is not a specific individual. It’s a popular saying my mum used to say.
I chose it because I thought it was ugly at the beginning but I knew I’d love it throughout the time. Of course now I find it a beautiful name. It’s been approximately 4 years since I made that first amigurumi.

A qué se debe el nombre Mongoreto? Hace cuánto que haces Amigurumi?
“Mongoreto” o “Mongoreto Flores” en Argentina se usa mucho para nombrar a alguien del cual no se sabe el nombre o no es alguien en particular. Es un dicho popular que decía mi mamá.
Lo elegí porque al principio me parecía feo, pero sabía que con el tiempo iba a quererlo. Claro que hoy el nombre me parece hermoso. Aproximadamente 4 años pasaron ya desde aquel primer amigurumi.


Could you tell us about your creative process?
Generally I’m inspired when I have a very repetitive order; then my mind starts to fly and what I´d like to do comes to my mind. I make some drawings and I try to mentally adapt it to crochet stitches. The materialization stage comes right after, when I crochet and unravel it until I like the result.


Podrías contarnos cuál es tu proceso creativo?
Generalmente me inspiro cuando tengo algún pedido demasiado repetitivo, ahí mi mente empieza a volar y se me ocurre qué me gustaría hacer. Hago varios dibujitos y trato de ir adaptándolo mentalmente a los puntos de crochet. Luego viene la etapa de materialización en donde tejo y destejo hasta que estoy conforme con el resultado.


Which is your favorite yarn? Do you have any ethical or aesthetic preference for your creations?
I love cotton yarn 100%. It gives a very good shape, texture, is hypoallergenic and I also make sure that I am not harming any animal, which are precisely my biggest inspiration.


Cuáles son tus hilos favoritos? Tienes algún tipo de preferencias sea de tipo ético o estético para tus creaciones?
Me encanta el hilo 100% de algodón. Le da muy buena forma, textura, es hipoalergénico y además me aseguro de no lastimar a ningún animal quienes justamente son la mayor inspiración.


What inspires you to create Amigurumi?Besides animals of course, I usually look for illustrations in old books. If well my designs are mainly basic, looking at very detailed drawings helps me to realize about the features I want to remark in order to ensure that every character can be understood.

Que te inspira cuando creas Amigurumis?
Además de los animales, claro, suelo buscar ilustraciones de cuentos antiguos. Si bien mis diseños se caracterizan por ser simples, el ver dibujos muy detallados me ayuda a darme cuenta qué rasgos resaltar para que se interprete cada personaje.


You have more than 12k instagram followers; what would you advise to those who want to increase the visibility of their creations?
I don’t think there’s any magic formula or at least, I don’t have it. However I pay attention to 2 things: firstly and mainly, the picture. Taking a clear picture of the product (even if I neither have a professional camera nor a photography studio). I wait for the moment of the day when I can make the most of natural light.
Secondly, not to saturate. I usually publish 1 or 2 posts per week, not much more. In Facebook and Pinterest I spread my updates much more.


Tienes más de 12.k seguidores en Instagram; que consejos le darías a las personas que quieren expandir la visibilidad de sus creaciones?
No creo que haya alguna fórmula mágica o al menos yo no la tengo. Pero le presto atención a 2 cosas: Primero y principal a la foto. Sacar una foto clara del producto (aunque no cuento con cámara profesional ni mucho menos un estudio fotográfico) espero el momento del día para aprovechar la mejor luz natural.
Y lo segundo es a no saturar. Suelo hacer 1 o 2 publicaciones por semana, no mucho más. En Facebook y Pinterest actualizo de modo mucho más espaciado.


This interview was made by The Sun and the Turtle and translated by Marina D. Bárcenas.

MORE CROCHATTING HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...